Monday, March 12, 2012

My March Door...
    So decorating my classroom door is what keeps me going as a teacher, as weird as that sounds.  I started college as an Graphic Design Major and quickly switched to Art Education , thinking I would merge the two worlds of being good with kids and being good at art.  I quickly realized that I didn't exactly "fit the mold" of the typical art student.  It frustrated me that I had to do many more art classes than education classes and eventually my frustration led me down the path of Elementary Education.  It's weird looking back, because I wasn't one of those little girls who always dreamed of being a teacher.  Sure, I played school at home and loved to put my little sister in time out, but if you look in my 5th grade yearbook it says I'll be a Veterinarian or a Marine Biologist...yeah right.  Try:  Most days you'll feel like a glorified babysitter, but every once in awhile you have a moment when you realize you are making small differences in the world, child by child, and it makes it all worth it.
     So back to my door... I love getting the opportunity to still feel like an "artist," even though it's just some tempera paint and bulletin board paper.  Here it is-

And oh yeah... this dog won't stop growing! ...


8 comments:

  1. Your door is so cute! I think the only thing that is cuter is that puppy! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I think the breeder still has some left if you live in the Raleigh, NC area! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found your blog link on TPT! You have some really cute ideas! I'd like to give you the Lovely Blog Award....working on the post now! I am also your newest follower...please follow me too and stop by to grab your award! LOVE IT!

      http://kutekinderkids.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. Such a creative door design. I guarantee you that you are making more of a difference than you could ever imagine.

    And my oh my is that puppy of yours getting big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am giving you the One Lovely Blogger Award. Go to my blog to pick it up. www.3rdgradegrapevine.blogspot.com.
    -Susan
    3rd Grade Grapevine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley!

    I'm sorry this comment comes so late! Meant to contact you way back In March, but it must have slipped through the cracks.

    We loved your classroom door design and featured you at our blog, Bulletin Board Ideas, as part of our St. Patrick's Day round-up!

    Here's the link to the full feature:
    http://bulletinboardideas.org/6667/full-of-treasure-st-patricks-day-door-display/

    We were sure to give idea/photo credit, as well as a link to your lovely blog, but we'd love for you to check it out. If there are any problems, we'll be sure to take the feature down immediately.

    Hope you're having a great summer!
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I will be starting to teach next fall and wanted some good ideas for my classroom doors. Thanks! My husband also likes to decorate the garage door for each holiday and we just got a new door from the Door Surgeon and with the new windows on the door he is coming up with a lot more ideas. He hasn't done St. Patricks day yet, maybe I will show him this and have one for that month too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just Gorgeous! I am planning something similar for our March bulletin board!

    ReplyDelete