Monday, February 6, 2012

Momma Kell's Stromboli (& another "bonus" dough recipe)

      

      Nowadays when I need to bring a recipe to a party I instantly open my laptop and browse the latest and greatest Pinterest ideas.  Sunday was a little different for me: While thinking about what to whip up for the Super Bowl, I didn't need to click, pin, or download a thing...I opened my recipe book.  My mother, Kelly Madigan, has a Stromboli recipe that makes her famous among our family & friends in Erie, PA.  My husband and I were talking about it the other night and came to the conclusion that no matter how much she makes, there is NEVER enough.  You could always eat one more piece & you can be guaranteed that there will never be leftovers.  (I think this was reiterated when I walked in the door Sunday and the Stromboli didn't even make it to a table before hands were on it)  What's so cool about the recipe is that she's been making it since my parents were married (29 years).  She used to make it for the "anniversary parties" they had with their wedding party every year. (Fun idea-- I wish all my bridesmaids were in one place!!)  In fact, I have proof:  she still uses the same envelope the recipe was written on 29 years ago.  It's covered in crap, for lack of a better word.  It's grease-stained and the ink is bleeding so much I'm surprised she can still read it (not that she needs to) but it's also covered with years of love and memories in the kitchen.  I'm so excited she was willing to let me share her secret with the world-- you will never regret making Momma Kell's Stromboli. (& to all of my local friends-- I still get dibs on bringing it to parties!! haha)
*P.S.- Mom, no matter how many times I make it, it's never as good as when it's yours. :)
*P.P.S.- Don't cry.

I TOLD YA!!

INGREDIENTS:
-1 loaf of Rhodes frozen bread dough (they sell white, wheat, and pizza dough...you can also use your favorite type of pizza dough)
-2 egg yolks (save the whites for later)
-1 TBSP parmesan cheese
-1 TSP parsley
-1 TSP oregano
-1/2 TSP garlic powder
-1/4 TSP pepper
-2 TBSP olive oil
-1/2 pound pepperoni
-12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS:
*I'm going to try and take you on a "picture walk" (sorry for the teacher talk) through the recipe...

Before you start, make sure your dough is thawed out.  You can set it in the refrigerator overnight, set it on the counter all day under saran wrap, or defrost it in the microwave.  Just be careful: the microwave can start cooking the dough and hardens it after being in there too long.  If you're defrosting in the microwave, spray the dough with Pam and cover it with saran wrap.











You can serve it with your favorite pizza sauce, but I don't even bother-- it's good enough by itself!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe #2:  Use the same bread dough to make BBQ Chicken Pizza- one of our FAVORITES!


INGREDIENTS:
-1 loaf Rhodes frozen bread dough, defrosted
- Diced BBQ Chicken (we cook ours on the grill and then cut it)
-Your favorite BBQ Sauce
-Mozzarella Cheese
-Red Onion, sliced thin
-2 TBSP Olive Oil
-Optional: Cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Roll out loaf of dough into a rectangle.

2. Spread dough with BBQ sauce and 2 TBSP olive oil 


3.  Add ingredients on top:  Mozzarella cheese, red onion, chicken, and cilantro



4.  Bake @ 350 for about 25 minutes.  Watch it closely to make sure your crust doesn't burn.



ENJOY! & one last pic for fun...



2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I made your Stromboli this weekend. Not only was it unbelievably easy but it was crazy delish! :) I used Trader Jo's ready made pizza dough and added mushrooms! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Arpita!! Thanks for sharing! I've had lots of texts from friends saying that they've tried it as well. It's SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete