Saturday, January 28, 2012

MVP: Most Valuable Present...



Our Ice Cream maker was by far the most random gift we received from our wedding shower, but it's getting the MVP award in our house lately.  The woman who gave it to us told me her daughter was a chef and that she used hers all the time.  This lady clearly knew what she was talking about, because it's January and I've used mine twice this month.  A few weeks ago I made homemade Caramelized Banana Ice Cream and was so impressed with how easy and quick it was to make.  Well, I shouldn't say quick...I didn't realize you had to pre-freeze the ice cream drum, so I had to let the mix sit in the fridge for a day before it got to spinning in the machine (whoops!).  This week I decided to do a little recipe research and try a new flavor: Strawberry Cheesecake.  Whenever I make something new I tend to look up as many recipes as I can and throw together little pieces of each of them.  Confession: I "cook without a book" way too often, so it's hard for me to actually write up recipes.  A pinch of this ... a handful of that ... (thank you to the Italian women in my family who don't know how to measure anything when they cook!)  


So here it is... My attempt at measuring, writing it down, and sharing my recipe with the blogging world!... The ice cream is delicious and tastes so fresh compared to the store-bought kind.  I can't wait to test out some more flavors...






Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup milk + 1 cup half and half
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup fresh strawberries (use more if you'd like)
1 8oz. block of cream cheese
1/2 cup graham crackers, broken into small pieces (about 5 graham crackers)
fresh squeezed lemon juice


DIRECTIONS:
1. Wash and cut stems off of strawberries.  Place them in a blender and roughly chop them. You may have to use a spatula to move the berries around to make sure they all get chopped.
2.  Add the milk and half & half, sugar, and about 1 TBSP of lemon juice and blend.  It will look like this:



3. Now it's time for the cream cheese:  I broke my block up into 8 little squares and dropped them in.  Blend so it becomes frothy and looks like this:


4.  Get your ice cream maker ready according to it's directions.  Pour the mixture in and let the freezing process begin.  When the ice cream thickens and looks like it's ready to take out (see below), you can fold in the graham cracker pieces.


5.  Scoop your ice cream out into a freezer-safe container. I like my ice cream very cold so I let it freeze for about an hour before I dug in.  ENJOY!






Here's the banana ice cream in the drum:  I highly suggest making this one as well!







2 comments:

  1. With the amount that I loooove ice cream I think this might be a necessary purchase :) Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brhea it's awesome... Only takes 20-30 minutes for the ice cream to freeze!!

    ReplyDelete