Thursday, January 5, 2012

December in the Classroom... (I know it's January!)

Our last science unit was living things ... This year I decided to "think outside of the kit" a little (We use FOSS science kits) - I made a "Living Things Journal" for the kids to keep track of all of their living things papers.  We focused on labeling animals and writing 1 or 2 facts about them.  We also kept a list of living things vocabulary. You can find the documents in the packet HERE.


We made hand print fish and the students labeled the parts of a fish.  The "rocks" at the bottom are just beans glued on!  The idea came from http://thefrugalgirls.com/2011/09/handprint-canvas-art.html


We also completed some holiday-themed centers and activities.  I fell in love with Deanna Jump's Grinch Unit!  


The kids came up with some very creative ways to "Make the Grinch Grin..."


They also had some notes to write to Mr. Grinch asking "Please don't take my..."


You can find the link to these FREE "Dear Mr. Grinch" worksheets  HERE!  


And last... my December door...


5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your fish label project!!! I'm a new follower.
    Modern Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS for your ideas!!!! so fun!!!!! HAPPY CHRISTMAS 2012!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful craft to do with kids! I'm going to do this with my grandson who will be 4 the end of this month. I wanna do a whole theme with it maybe take him to Maui Ocean Center. Make jellyfish, etc. Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to share this on my blog too and I already shared it with our Cafemom Holiday and Party Crafts members with a link back here for the tutorial. Thanks so much! And welcome to the blogging world! ~Yolanda~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these ideas. I have no science material, could you tell me what is in your Living Things booklet. I need a lot of help for science resources at this level:)
      my email address is puissance.360@gmail.com

      Delete