Monday, October 10, 2011

One Of My Favorite Things About Teaching...

...Decorating my door for the holidays/seasons/months :)  ... It's the little things in life, isn't it?

If this is something that stresses you out as a teacher, CALM DOWN!!  1.  It's not worth the worry- you have enough in your life as a teacher.  2. Door designs are SO simple!

Here are my tips:
1. Involve your students SOMEHOW.  I teach Kindergarten, so usually- this is only them writing their names (like on the ghosts below) or coloring in something I've given them.  It makes the door a little more personal, but BEWARE... Too much "kid work" can send it overboard and make your door look sloppy. 

2.  Hit up the dollar store or the Target dollar bin... You will find some seasonal cut-outs and letters that you don't even have to create!  This is where I found my "Halloween" images and my caution tape below. 

3.  Pick the perfect background color.  Your decorations need to pop against it...If you are planning on writing your kids names on pink hearts, please don't pick a pink background.  Simple, right?

4. Speaking of simple, S.I.M.P.L.I.F.Y!  The door below may seem complicated, but it really wasn't.  Choose larger, bold items to hang on your door, not every Halloween decoration you've ever gathered.  It will save you time and make your door look a lot cleaner.

5.  SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!!!  Everything but the cut-out ghosts with kids names was used on my door last year, meaning this thing took me all but 5 minutes to create this year.  If you create something you love- laminate, file, baggie- whatever you have to do to save it for next year!!


Up close...

No comments:

Post a Comment